Wednesday, 19 August 2026PREMIUM EDITORIAL
KZN Residents Demand Action Over Alleged Cemetery Abuse

KZN Residents Demand Action Over Alleged Cemetery Abuse

Z
ZimCelebs·August 19, 2026·5 min read

Residents living near the Wick Street Local Cemetery in Verulam are calling for action following allegations that unidentified men have been using the cemetery...

BREAKING:

Residents living near the Wick Street Local Cemetery in Verulam are calling for action following allegations that unidentified men have been using the cemetery to watch pornography and engage in sexual acts around graves and tombstones.

The latest complaints were lodged on Monday morning after Project 360, a local security and cleaning company, contacted Reaction Unit South Africa (RUSA) for assistance, according to information released by the organisation.

RUSA said residents had reported that the alleged behaviour had been taking place since January. The complaints indicate that the activity has continued over several months despite efforts by members of the public and municipal workers to chase the men away.

Advertisement

According to RUSA, as many as four different men have allegedly been involved. Residents claim the men visit the cemetery during both daytime and evening hours and return regularly despite being confronted.

The allegations include the men using mobile phones to watch pornographic videos while engaging in sexual activity on or around graves and tombstones. RUSA said some of the alleged incidents have taken place within view of members of the public.

Residents living in nearby residential complexes have also raised concerns about the effect of the alleged behaviour on children in the area. According to RUSA, residents claim audio from the videos can sometimes be heard from nearby properties.

The reports have prompted renewed concerns about activity taking place at the cemetery and the need for greater security around the site. Residents say the issue is not simply about identifying the individuals involved but also about maintaining respect for graves and the people buried there.

RUSA said attempts have already been made to remove the men from the cemetery. Municipal workers and members of the public have reportedly chased them away when they were allegedly found at the site.

However, according to the organisation, the alleged offenders have continued returning to the cemetery.

“The complaint has left the cemetery with anything but a peaceful reputation,” RUSA said.

The organisation has now announced additional measures to monitor the cemetery. RUSA said its drone pilot will conduct regular aerial patrols over the area as part of efforts to identify suspicious activity.

Reaction officers will also be dispatched when required, according to the organisation. The increased monitoring is intended to assist with responding to reports from residents and security personnel.

The allegations have raised concerns among people living close to the cemetery because the reported incidents are said to occur at different times of the day. Residents have called for measures that would discourage people from using the cemetery for inappropriate activities.

The Wick Street Local Cemetery is located in Verulam, in KwaZulu-Natal. The latest complaints were brought to RUSA through Project 360, which provides security and cleaning services in the area.

RUSA’s account is based on complaints received from residents and information provided during its response. The identities of the alleged offenders have not been established, and no arrests were reported in the information available.

The allegations have therefore not been tested in court. The men referred to in the reports remain unidentified and should not be treated as having committed an offence unless the allegations are established through the appropriate legal process.

The reports also do not indicate whether municipal authorities have opened a formal investigation or whether criminal charges have been laid against any of the alleged offenders.

For residents, however, the immediate concern is the repeated nature of the reported activity and its location. They say the cemetery should remain a place where families can visit graves without being exposed to inappropriate conduct.

The concerns are particularly significant for residents living in nearby complexes who say children may hear the audio from pornographic videos allegedly being played at the cemetery.

The reported behaviour has also created concerns about the security of people visiting the cemetery. While the information provided does not indicate that visitors have been physically threatened, residents have raised concerns about repeatedly encountering people allegedly engaging in inappropriate activities.

RUSA’s planned drone patrols are expected to provide another layer of monitoring. The organisation said its reaction officers would be dispatched when necessary based on information gathered during patrols or reports received from the community.

The use of aerial monitoring is intended to help identify activity across the cemetery, according to RUSA. It could also allow response teams to locate people more quickly if residents report that the alleged behaviour is taking place.

Residents are now hoping that increased monitoring will discourage the alleged activity and restore a sense of security around the cemetery.

The allegations have reportedly continued since January, with residents claiming that up to four men have been repeatedly visiting the site. Attempts by municipal workers and members of the public to chase them away have reportedly failed to prevent their return.

RUSA has not identified the alleged offenders, and no information has been provided about their ages or backgrounds.

The organisation has also not indicated whether the men have been formally charged with any offence. Any further action would depend on the outcome of investigations and evidence gathered by authorities.

For now, the main response announced by RUSA is increased monitoring through regular drone patrols and the deployment of reaction officers when required.

Residents have continued to call for the cemetery to be treated with dignity and respect. Their concerns centre on the alleged use of graves and the surrounding area for activities that they consider inappropriate and disruptive.

The latest complaints highlight the challenges faced by communities when public or municipal spaces are repeatedly used in ways that create concern among nearby residents.

With aerial patrols now planned, RUSA is expected to monitor the cemetery more closely and respond to reports of suspicious activity.

The identities of the men involved remain unknown, and the allegations have not resulted in any reported arrests at the time of the latest information.

Authorities and community members will therefore continue to monitor the situation while residents seek measures to prevent the alleged conduct from recurring.

Advertisement

Comments

Leave a comment

Comments are moderated before appearing.

Advertisement

Next for you

Hand-picked stories you might have missed